Rail 9.8 is a long-travel carbon electric mountain bike that gets you to the fun stuff faster. It features an upgraded fork, drivetrain, and dropper for exceptional performance on the gnarliest runs. This e-MTB feels and rides just like our rowdiest trail bikes, and it's built with the same trail-specific tech. The difference is that the powerful new Bosch drive system zips up climbs so you can spend less time grinding and more time getting rad.
It's right for you if...
You're looking for a long-travel carbon e-MTB with high-performance parts. You crave the responsiveness of carbon, the plush feel of high-end suspension, and would rather get all the good stuff now than have to upgrade down the line.
The tech you get
A light and durable OCLV Mountain Carbon main frame with carbon stays that fully encases a 625Wh battery for sleek looks and protection on the trail, a 160mm RockShox Lyrik Select Plus fork with Charger 2 RC damper, 150mm of rear travel with a RockShox Deluxe RT3 shock with Trek's RE:aktiv with Thru Shaft damper, a powerful new Bosch Performance Line CX 250W motor that assists up to 20 mph, and a Purion controller. A 1x12 SRAM GX Eagle drivetrain, Bontrager Line Elite dropper post, Shimano SLX 4-piston brakes, a carbon handlebar, and Bontrager Line Comp 30 29er wheels with Bontrager SE5 Team Issue tires.
The final word
This bike features across-the-board upgrades that make it a seriously capable high-performance ripper. It's built for hammering gnarly descents, then flying right back up again thanks to the powerful Bosch drive system.
Why you'll love it
- The new, better-than-ever Bosch motor is smaller, lighter, and more efficient. It feels more natural while you're pedaling, and has less drag when you're not
- Rail shreds just as hard as its non-electric brethren, plus it powers you right back up the mountain-no shuttle or lift necessary
- Trek's Removable Integrated Battery (RIB) system looks great and is super user-friendly: it fully hides the battery in the frame for protection, makes it easy remove the battery without tools and lets you mount a water bottle cage
- RE:aktiv with Thru Shaft works faster than a normal shock, so it tracks the ground better and keeps you in control
- Made with the same exclusive frame tech as Remedy and Slash, like Mino Link adjustable geometry, a Straight Shot down tube for extra stiffness, and Active Braking Pivot (ABP)
A dropper seatpost allows you to quickly lower and raise your seat to give you an ideal riding position. Dropping your seat creates a lower center of gravity for better control and maneuverability on steep descents, while raising it puts you at normal riding height for efficient pedaling.
Construction can include either hydraulic- or cable-actuated systems and the post’s travel can either be infinitely adjustable or stopped at set intervals, depending on the model.
Dropper seatposts come in standard lengths and diameters and vary by the amount of travel.
|NEW Bosch Performance Line CX, 250 Watt, 75Nm, magnesium body, 20 mph max assist
|Bosch PowerTube, 625Wh
|Max Assisted Speed
|OCLV Mountain Carbon main frame and stays, Removable Integrated Battery (RIB), tapered head tube, Control Freak internal routing, magnesium rocker link, Motor Armor, Mino Link, ABP, Boost148, 12mm thru axle, 150mm travel
|RockShox Lyrik Select Plus, DebonAir spring, Charger 2 RC damper, e-MTB optimized, tapered steerer, 42mm offset, Boost110, 15mm Maxle Stealth, 160mm travel
|Knock Block Integrated, sealed cartridge bearing, 1-1/8" top, 1.5" bottom
|Bontrager Line Comp 30, Tubeless Ready, 6-bolt, Shimano 8/9/10 freehub, Boost110 front, Boost148 rear
|Bontrager SE5 Team Issue, Tubeless Ready, Core Strength sidewall, aramid bead, 60 tpi, 29" x 2.60"
|SRAM X1 1000, 34T
|SRAM GX Eagle
|SRAM PG-1230 Eagle, 11-50, 12 speed
|SRAM GX Eagle single-click, 12 speed
|Bontrager Line Pro, OCLV Carbon, 35mm, 27.5mm rise
|Bontrager XR Trail Comp, lock-on
|Bontrager Line Pro, 35mm, Knock Block, 0 degree
|Shimano SLX M7120 4-piston hydraulic disc, 180mm rotor
|VP-536 nylon platform
|Bontrager Arvada, austenite rails, 138mm width
|Bontrager Line Elite Dropper, internal routing, 31.6mm
* Subject to change without notice.